Achilles Operative Repair
- No weight bearing
- Splint in gravity equinus
- If skin healed, boot and 25% weight bearing week 2, 50% weight bearing week 3
- Sutures out, incision check, new steri strips
- Boot with 2 wedges
- 75% weight bearing week 4, 100% weight bearing week 5 (slow this progression if painful)
- Remove steri strips
- Boot with 1 wedge
- Weight bearing as tolerated.
- Boot with 1 wedge until week 7
- Boot with no wedges after week 7
- Wean off of crutches as tolerated.
- Begin practicing single limb stance out of boot in controlled environment with therapist.
- No night splinting needed
- Work on active ROM ankle, subtalar joint.
- Start light weight resistance band
- Start gentle seated belt stretch
- Out of boot to regular shoes
- Start double-limb heel raise
- When able to perform double-limb heel raise, graduall shift toward single-limb heel raise
After 12 Weeks, Milestone-based
- ONLY When able to perform single limb heel raise –> Start stair calf stretch (if still feels stiff)
- When close to symmetric heel height with single-limb heel raise with uninjured side –> Plyometrics/Running